Community Development Block Grant Program
CDBG Application Process
The public and interested agencies are invited to submit written proposals for the implementation of programs that comply with Federal regulations relative to the Housing and Community Development Act of 1974, as amended that meet one of the three National Objectives:
- To benefit very low, low, and moderate-income persons in La Habra
- To aid in the prevention or elimination of slum and/or blight
- To meet community development needs having a particular urgency (i.e. health and safety issues, natural disasters)
It is the mission of the City to use resources to assist with businesses, job development, and the provision of safe, affordable housing. In short, we will do our part to maintain La Habra as a community its residents are proud to call "home". The City has identified five main goals:
- Provide decent affordable housing
- Maintain and promote neighborhood preservation
- Support special needs programs and services
- Construct or upgrade public facilities and infrastructure
- Economic Development.
A public hearing to review and receive public input on the proposals will be held before the Community Services Commission on January 10, 2018 in the Council Chambers. Funding recommendations of the Community Services Commission will be forwarded to the City Council for final approval. All interested agencies are invited to attend the public hearing.
The Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Entitlement Program provides annual grants on a formula basis to entitled cities and counties to develop viable urban communities by providing decent housing and a suitable living environment, and by expanding economic opportunities, principally for low and moderate income persons.
The History and Purpose of Community Development Block Grant Funding (CDBG)
About the Program
The City of La Habra receives Community Development Block Grant funds each year from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). The housing section administers the federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program, including:
- Coordination of City and neighborhood council 1-year funding priorities
- Design, bid, award, and construction of neighborhood public infrastructure improvements
- Preparation and submittal of all required federal reports
- Preparation and monitoring of sub recipient agreements
The section is charged with increasing and preserving the community's supply of affordable low and moderate income housing to comply with state and federal requirements. This goal is addressed by providing rehabilitation loans to existing low / moderate income owner-occupants of single-family residences and mobile homes. Further, the funds assist the city in CDBG eligible areas with public infrastructure improvements.
For More Information
A portion of these funds may be made available to nonprofit agencies for programs and projects that benefit low and moderate income La Habra residents. For more information about the CDBG program, please contact the City of La Habra Community Development Department. Please also check out the Citizen Participation Plan (PDF) to learn more about participation.
Fair Housing Resource Center