City Clerk's Office
About the Office
As a service oriented sector of your local government, the City Clerk's Office assists and supports the public and departments by making available the records necessary for the City to advance its administrative, legal, and legislative functions.
In California, there are two ways to become a City Clerk. You may be elected by the voters of the community or appointed by the City Council or City Manager.
Functions of the City Clerk's Office
The City Clerk's Office performs various professional and managerial duties according to State Law and Municipal Code. The City Clerk's Office provides the City Council, City Departments, and the public support with the following:
- Cares of official records and documents of the City such as agendas, minutes, resolutions, ordinances, municipal code, and maintains legal and historical records and information.
- Coordinates all municipal and special elections held by the City, coordinates the annual boards, commissions, and committees recruitment process, administers the records retention and destruction policy.
- Serves as the filing officer as required by the Fair Political Practices Commission "FPPC", such as the Campaign Contribution Reports, Statements of Economic Interest, and other such filings.
- Prepares and posts the City Council meeting agendas. These agendas may be viewed on this website. Copies of agendas, minutes of prior meetings, videos, and other public documents are also available and may be requested via the process.
- Coordinates recognitions at City Council meetings. The Recognition Request Form is available on-line and in PDF format.
- Coordinates annual boards, commissions, and committees recruitment process.
- Assists to ensure that City Council actions are properly executed, recorded, and archived.
- Administers oaths of office, attests, and seals official documents, and accepts petitions, appeals, claims, subpoenas, summons, bids, contracts, etc.
For More Information
The City Clerk and staff are committed to providing responsible, professional, and quality public service. For questions or assistance, please contact the City Clerk's Office by phone at 562-383-4030.